Saturday, November 13, 2010

World Diabetes Day - November 14th

SO today around the world is world diabetes day and I am in South Korea. At home in Canada I know more than a few peeps with Betes but here I am the only injectable soul....or should I say pumper. While I will be wearing blue and telling anyone that speaks English why I am wearing a nice blue sweater, there is NOTHING going on in this city for the day. At least, not that I have been able to find out in English. If I could read Korean I might have found something but it seems that Koreans are about hiding their differences from the rest of society. I was once shopping in the underground of Busan and happened to spot some pump tubing on a Korean woman. Being me and ridiculously comfortable with my betes I ran up to her and shoved my pump in her face. She was mortified and then I had to get my Korean friend to translate to her that she was the first other person in Korean who I had seen with diabetes and a pump at that. Apparently I was the first ever other person she had ever seen with a pump. WOW I thought...in a city of 5 million people I was the first ever pumper she had met. Strange and sad. She also did not want to discuss it further with me. Well at least I know I'm not the only one in the city!!

SO today I am thinking of my friends at home and wishing I could join them in the activities they have planned all around the city. Have a great time celebrating your friendship and your community!

No comments:

Post a Comment